Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Nine-oh-two-one-oh hello, polka dots! (Everybody, Everywear)

Right now on my nightstand perches a tower of magazines so precipitous that it threatens to topple and cause irreparable damage to my wood floors. Along with Tori Amos bootlegs, jeans, and lip gloss, I've always had a thing for magazines. I got my first subscription to Seventeen when I was in the ninth grade. I'm unsure of the exact year because I vehemently avoid math of any sort aside from calculating my clothing budget for the month. I also refuse to disclose the year I graduated high school because it was so long ago that written communication was limited to cave paintings and hieroglyphics.

I took great pleasure in answering those insipid little magazine quizzes about whether you should have sex with your boyfriend (whom I always fantasized to be Brandon Walsh from 90210, but apparently he never got the memo because I am STILL waiting for my phone to ring)  and what your perfume says about your personality and what styles of sunglasses were most flattering for your facial features. In case you're wondering, Seventeen never once recommended when one should have sex with their boyfriend. They were basically against the entire thing.

However, my true magazine love was bullet focused on the fashions. Oh, the FASHIONS! (say this in zee accent of zat zany episode 90210 when Brenda takes on zee affected French accent to seduce zat cute boy during zee senior trip to Parreee. ZEE FAZZIONNNNS!) I have VERY vivid memories of the 90's spreads in Seventeen (and YM and Sassy and Mademoiselle, for that matter.) I never had the urge to be a designer or even learn to sew a button onto my shirt, but I very clearly recall how much in lurve I was with those clothes. It doesn't surprise me that those distinctively 90's fashion trends are so hot right now. The loud florals! The statement necklaces and Doc Martins and maxi skirts! The mixed patterns! While I was doing "research" for this post (i.e scouring blogs, an activity which is coming dangerously close to replacing my magazine obsession) I came across some very colorful teen magazine spreads celebrating the more-is-more 90's spirit.

edlnpombntt3monl
A natural, healthy body on the cover of a magazine, as opposed to the emaciated models hawking clothing today, is nothing short of a revelation.  And that bold floral bikini gives me the wants so hard.

tumblr_kzvt7gnIIP1qz9qooo1_500
Teen fashion in the 90's was just all-out fun. This looks FUN, right? The decade gave us a lot to be grateful for. Like the combination of stripes and florals and patterns.


masonmademoiselle3
Doc Martins, flannel, and striped? Yes please. (Though the beanie has got to go.)


A friend recently told me that if you were a follower of a fashion trend the first time it came around, you should avoid it like the plague should it resurface again. I always kind of agreed. But seeing these spreads made me reconsider - hence my polka-dot pattern-mixing of today (which happens to coincide perfectly with today's polka dot challenge on Everybody, Everywhere.) Kelly Taylor would approve. (And P.S - I did not wear this blouse two days in a row...these pics were taken last week in preparation because my husband is out of town today. So there.) 


Gap blazer; Forever 21 silk blouse; thrifted vintage polka-dot skirt; Gap Outlet tights; Urban Outfitters 6x6 booties; Forever 21 necklaces; Forever 21 bracelets





No comments:

Post a Comment