Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Michelle Obama in South Africa. But What Was She Wearing? And the Gossip?

American First Lady Michelle Obama, her two daughters and her mum, had an action packed first full day in South Africa yesterday. They spent time at the Emthonjeni Community Center in Zandspruit Township in Johannesburg (to which she wore an ASOS Africa top and the girls wore fun coloured jeans), had a tour of the Apartheid Museum (she covered up with a gorgeous yellow Rachel Roy trench), visited with Graca Machel and then with her husband and our President, Nelson Mandela, and kicked the whole shebang off with a cute as anything meeting with South Africa's most stylish first lady, Nompumelelo Ntuli-Zuma (at which she wore a silk Narciso Rodriguez suit).
I wasn't surprised to see the two ladies walk out hand in hand. NNZ is so lovely and warm and fun, and I believe, a wonderful ambassador for the women-folk of our country. Love her.
I don't often want to be someone else as my life is pretty good. But yesterday and today, I would have been quite happy to exchange places with my friend Anele Mdoda, who has got to spend time with& Michelle Obama as part of the Young Africa programme. Not only would I have been able to meet Mrs O, but I also would also then own that awesome skirt by Loin Cloth & Ashes, that she wore to their meeting.
I have also been bleating a bit about how I wish Michelle Obama would wear SA designers while she is here. But my friends Malcolm Kluk and Christiaan Gabriel Du Toit (@KLuKCGDT) explained to me that the protocol dictates that she cannot accept any gifts, so they have not been able to send her anything (although they did point out that the lovely US ambassador's wife did in fact wear KLuKCGDT for the meeting with Mrs O. Yay.)
Oh, and one final snippet of goss. Apparently uber-boss Oprah was seen having dinner with the Obamas in a Johannesburg hotel last night. Hmmmm. Can anyone confirm? And what were the ladies wearing?
OK, so a full helping indeed of news on the Obama visit. No doubt there will be more to follow. Keep coming back for the real inside story. Dum. Dum. Duuuuuum!

No comments:

Post a Comment