Friday, May 27, 2011

Fashion Beauty Friend Friday: Hair care

This week, fashion Beauty Friend Friday is focused on hair care. I'm not much of a hair girl - I haven't had long hair since I was in middle school! - and I'm really intrigued to read what other bloggers have to say about the subject. We've talked about going the all-natural route when it comes to hair care, but we’ve never discussed our usual routines. So here goes…

The Friend Friday group by Modly Chic is a way for fashion bloggers to share more about themselves and join a friendly community of bloggers. Find out more about the group by checking out the Fashion Beauty Friend Friday Google Group. And don't forget to check out Modly Chic - it's such a great blog.



1.      How often do you get your hair cut?

I get a haircut approximately every five weeks, and even then it's just a trim to neaten things up. Despite being a pixie, my hair looks best when it's a bit grown out. I suppose it's a shaggy pixie.

2. Do you go to the same stylist each time, try someone new, go to the cheap hair cutting chains or live it up in a salon?

I go to the same stylist every time. I've been going to Toni and Guy for years, and though I believe every stylist there is probably great, I like to stay loyal to one hairdresser. She understands what I want and always gives me a consistently great haircut. And she's not too chatty. Nothing is worse than having to make small talk while getting a hair cut. I like that time to relax, read a magazine, and let my mind wander.

3. Do you color your hair? How often? What’s your natural color?

I do color my hair myself, over my bathroom sink every four weeks with good old Loreal Preference. I started going grey my senior year of high school and began coloring with henna. That was my gateway drug, which led to Nice and Easy and finally Loreal. I went through a brief phase when I had it colored professionally, but I just can't justify the $100+ expense when that money can go towards more worthy causes. Such as thrifting. My hair has been all colors - super dark brunette, white blond, strawberry blonde, burgundy and now a bright orangey red. I haven't seen my natural color in close to twenty years, but if I recall correctly it's brown with very faint red highlights. At this point, I suspect I'm approximately 80% grey. And I'm only 36. Le sigh.

4. The one thing you always do to keep your hair looking great is:

Not wash it every day! Red hair is really challenging to maintain - the colors fades easily and it can get pretty brassy. Washing it every other day helps maintain the color. It still fades faster than when I was a brunette, but I think it helps. I also occasionally use a color-depositing shampoo every now and then, but I'm not thrilled with the residue it leaves on my hair. I think it makes it look a little greasy - ick. I actually did a post about the care and feeding of a redhead here.

5. What hair trend do you love and wish you could rock?

I will probably always dream of having long hair, simply because I just don't have it and probably never will. In college I was friends with a girl who had long, stick straight, thick hair that cascaded down her back to her waist. I still lust over her hair. I daydream of ponytails and the pervasive "blogger bun."But I don't have the patience to grown my hair out. And being a mom to three doesn't really permit the time and energy required to maintain such a crowning glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment