Hi all. So its a rare thing indeed when Robyn and I disagree on a trend. I finally got her to agree that my much coveted Swedish Hasbeen’s Jodphur Clogs were ‘ok’ but I’m not allowed to tell a soul. And I granted her her long pleated skirt (with a minimum of whining). But we cannot reach agreement on Ombre hair.
You see – I like it. She doesn’t. I like it so much that if I had Hair with a capital H I would do it, but I don’t. I have a crop, and if I did it, I would look like I had a crop with frosted tips. And that’s definitely a look we agree to hate on!
I loved it when I first saw it on Drew and Nicole – and I think my buddy Kate Moss may even have done it for a fraction of a style second. And it sort of reminds me of Debbie Harry.
But, there are rules:
- It should not look as if your roots are growing out;
- It should look as if your roots are growing out EVENLY;
- The tips should be coloured regularly to keep them fresh and not all dried out and dusty;
- Ditto the roots;
- It can be done with extensions – BUT (again with the but) they must be fresh, human hair, high quality, beautifully coloured and well maintained;
- Ombre hair is not an excuse for shampoo dodging – neither is matte hair for that matter;
- Dip dying your ombre hair in hot pink or orange is not a look;
- Matching your dip dyed ombre hair to your buddy’s.... Well I think you know the answer to this one.
LOVE, 5 Wandel Street, Dunkley Square Gardens, Cape Town or www.lovehairsalon.com
[Obviously we are deeply grateful to MasterCard and L'Oreal Paris, as ever, for sending us to London so we could discover the trends first, for you]