Monday, January 24, 2011

Last Night I Fell In Love With Dior Haute Couture Again



Oh my giddy aunt. How do I love John Galliano's Dior Haute Couture? Let me count the ways. First, he always takes us on a flight of fancy based squarely in the heritage of Christian Dior. Second, he references the golden age of Dior for a modern age - with New Look silhouettes being made contemporary. And third, his collections are ladylike and feminine and a total dream for any girl. And of course he always dresses up, which is always a plus.
For this collection Galliano literally 'drew' on artistic inspiration, basing it on the work of 20th century illustrator, RenĂ© Gruau, who collaborated with Christian Dior for much of his career. Galliano mimicked his calligraphic brushstrokes in the embroidery and beading, and the fluidity of illustrative line in voluminous ballgowns, which rose and fell around the body in a series of waves. The gloved arms outstretched also echoed his work without losing any of the classic Dior motifs. Seriously, I am in love.
Yes this may be the whimsical land of haute couture, but every year it takes my breath away and reminds me why I love the House of Dior so very much.
PS: That belt in the last image - used in several colours thoughout the show - I am pretty darn certain it comes from South Africa. Anyone got any insight?

No comments:

Post a Comment